Okay, it's time to put a different title on top of my blog. My heart still aches, but my mouth and stomach are better! Boy, that dentist really did a number on my lower left gum and cheek with those injections. And as far as my aching stomach, in addition to being disciplined in fasting one day a week, I have been amazingly able to control my food intake - the kind of food, the amount, and the frequency - in the past month. I also was doing great at getting to the gym more regularly than usual, and as of this morning, I have lost 10 pounds in the past month. Now on a person my size, that is barely noticeable, but I feel the difference. I hope I can ignore all the goodies that will be upon the staff table when I go back to school and also get to the gym after school at least some of the days.
We have all heard the stories about American Idol auditions, but this week we learned about it first hand. Jeremy's boss and coworkers very much wanted him to audition this week in Miami, so they gave him the time off, even paid his hotel! He drove down to Miami Sunday evening, was in line to register by 6 AM on Monday, and returned early this morning for the first round of auditions. There are three rounds before ever even getting in front of the main judges, Randy, Paula, and Simon. I think there were about 10,000 people auditioning in Miami, and that's only one of maybe six or eight cities where they are auditioning! Now many of you have heard Jeremy sing, and we all know he's good, certainly better than Bucky Covington, Chicken Little, and Sanjaya, all guys who made it to the top 12 in the past. In fact he's been likened to Josh Groban. But just like we've heard before, they are looking for the unusual, the weird, the absolutely horrible, as well as the exceptionally awesome singers to put through to the third round, from which the first few shows of the season are made. Jeremy called this morning when he was waiting for the round one audition. He said they have 10 booths, they take four at a time in each booth. At that point he thought they may have listened to about 150 people and only sent 2 to the second round. He said, "They're sending a lot of really good people home." So we were not surprised that he did not make it to round two. He was number 3000-something, and only about 20 at that point had made it to round two. Among those 20 were some that were dressed in weird costumes and had terrible voices. He said that the sad part is that the preliminary judges tell those people that they did great, so they go on to round two and three thinking they're good, only to be embarrassed for public TV when they get in front of the judges. Hmmm. I never did like those early shows, and now I will like them even less. Jeremy did this on a whim and he had fun. It gave him a chance to sing again, something his crazy work and school schedule does not usually provide time for. Now this weekend my former student (also Jeremy's voice student) Heather Harley is going to the auditions in Philadelphia. She works at a bridal shop and has considered showing up in a bridal gown to give them that variety they're looking for!!
When I got home today there was a most welcome sight on my porch - my Gevalia coffee shipment!! I've been getting Gevalia's traditional roast for about 15 years by mail, and I just don't like anything else as well, not even Starbucks. I add a little bit of hazelnut decaf to it, and ummmmm - it is the best - to me anyway. I provided the coffee for our big Witmer and Stauffer weekends this summer, so I've had to resort to Folgers for about a month. But tomorrow morning I'll have me some Gevalia again. That sounds like a good way to start my first day back on the job!
7 comments:
Oh Jean...I'm sooooooo proud of you! 10 pounds! Wow. I'm a little jealous :-) You go girl!
I'm so sorry Jeremy didn't get further. I know what you mean about them not always picking the best ones to go on. I think they have a crazy system. I personally don't watch those type shows, but I hear all about them.
Hugs!
Kat
Wow, that's interesting about all the "behind the scenes" stuff with American Idol. Sorry Jeremy didn't make it to round 2, but they obviously aren't looking for the most talented, are they?!
We just cancelled our Gevalia. Yes, I know--the horror of it! Actually, I found something I like better...Brothers Gourmet Coffee... chocolate swirl flavor with some french vanilla creamer...it's out of this world YUMMY!
Hope you start feeling better soon!
I think they ARE looking for the most talented, but because they need the bizarre people to increase interest in the show, many very talented people get turned away.
And by the way, Tracey, I'm feeling fine physically. The heart ache I refer to is from the concern I feel over Destiny when she's not here. I am trying to trust the Lord with this situation, but it is a daily, hourly challenge.
WOW! TEN POUNDS!
WOW! JEREMY tried out for American Idol!
WOW! A shipment of Gevalia!
DID YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY OR WHAT!
It doesn't get much better than that!
About Destiny, is she not going to your school this year? I guess if she is not with you, that means she must be going to one of the public schools, right?
Oh! I just heard of Josh Brogan from Shelly's blog. She has a Youtube up of him. He is GOOD! I have never heard Jeremy but if he sounds like Josh, WOW ~ Double WOW!
Jean...I feel your pain, sister! So sorry your mouth hurts. But the excitement at losing 10 pounds should lessen it somewhat! Good for you! I will be so happy when I can say that, too. You keep on going, girl!
Glad that Jeremy had the adventure of trying out for one of the biggest shows ever. Good for him to go for it. I'm sure it was a real learning experience.
I don't drink coffee, so I don't get it about certain kinds. It all SMELLS the same to me.
Don't you worry about Destiny...she's gonna be o.k. Our Father is keeping her close...I know 'cause I asked Him to!
Now, you stay away from all those goodies at school, you hear?
Bleesing,
Tonja
Ten pounds is great, Jeanie! I have been rebelling against diets for about two weeks now, so I am back to my regular weight again.=(
I just don't know what it takes to get me to stick to a good eating routine; I can't seem to get it together right now. On the coffee front, I'm a Starbucks girl all the way. I have it at home and get it out whenever I can. Since I like Starbucks, nothing else seems strong enough!
its hard to lose wieght for sure congradulations to you for doing that. I had lost a good bit of weight a few years ago but it came back due not enough excerise i suppose because i don"t eat very much and I try to eat healthy . Some people just have to excerise a whole lot more then others. I think thats why my cholestrol went down. I watch what i eat but its the weight thats a bumber. I used to more around the house then i do now also . don"t have to its taken care of for me so I know that is part of it as well. Used to go to a gym but it was tiresome having to go to that at the end of the day. I like my computer to much lol
Post a Comment