For some reason it was hard for me to get moving this morning. I felt soooo sleepy, which is weird, because I thought I got more sleep than usual over the weekend. However, it was quite interrupted, so that must be why. Let me tell you about it.
As we were driving toward Camp Hebron Friday evening, Dick said, "I don't remember putting the pump for the air mattresses in the car." I said, "You have got to be kidding. We don't even have the air mattresses!!" Now years ago, I used to pride myself on how well I slept in a sleeping bag on top of a piece of carpet. But those days are long past. SO one of Dick's brothers generously offered us an extra piece of soft carpet that Dick lovingly put under my side of the sleeping bag we were lying on top of (we covered with a heavy comforter.) I thought I would never get to sleep, but apparently I did. When I awoke at 4:00 I was aching all over and considered getting up, but I actually went back to sleep till 6:30. At breakfast I discovered that all kinds of things had gone on during the night that I had apparently slept though - a coyote was barking, Natalia was awake and noisy and wanting to play for several hours in the middle of the night, much to her parents' chagrin. But I had not heard any of it.
On Saturday we drove 15 miles to the nearest Walmart and got a cheap twin-size camping air mattress and another pump. We spread our sleeping bag out, half of it over my mattress, and half of it over the carpet for Dick. That night I woke up to find half of myself sleeping on the plastic of the air mattress. I tried to wiggle around to make the sleeping bag cover the whole thing so I could go back to sleep without having to get up to go to the bathroom. No luck. I had to go. I came back and yanked on the sleeping bag so hard I tore it!! (Dick soundly slept through all this!) I tried to go to sleep again, but that plastic just bugged me. So I decided maybe I could try to push my mattress under the sleeping bag further. So I got out and tried that. No luck. Dick was in the way and he wasn't about to be moved. Keep in mind that both these nights were around 50 degrees! Somehow I did go back to sleep until 7:30! So maybe that all explains why I felt sooo tired this morning!
Destiny's mommy had off work today and called to ask for Destiny to spend the day, so I took her there around 12:30, then took advantage of the chance to do some shopping without her along. I hit Ollie's, T.J. Maxx, Maxwell's, A.C. Moore, and Michaels Arts and Crafts. When I got there a lady said to me, "I feel like I'm following you." I had not noticed her, but apparently she had seen me in several of the stores! She said, "I just kept noticing your bright green shirt!" I found some good deals and came home happy and tired.
This evening we worked outside. I was scraping old paint off the steps to the porch and Dick was transplanting hosta. It had to be moved because we're having a new walk put in later this week right where the hosta was. He replanted it all along the deck, and there's still a lot to put somewhere.
Some of you may remember that last year Dick started this walk project, but because he needed hernia surgery and also ended up with another diagnosis of lymphoma and the accompanying chemo treatments, the project never got finished. So we decided to hire someone we know who does small projects like this on the side. Dick will still build the ramp from the new walk up to the deck. Our goal is to make our house more accessible to our friends and family who use wheel chairs or have trouble using steps.
Time to hit my good, comfy bed!
4 comments:
The first and last time we camped out was back when Heather was in the third grade. We bought each of us a sleeping bag, a tent, a coleman stove, and other items. We went to Muddy Run for the night. That night it got down to 32 degrees. Heather and I were absolutely freezing. We spent the night in the heated bathroom of the park. We NEVER camped out again. LOL!
Alan had been a Boy Scout so he had camped out in all kinds of weather. We girls couldn't take it.
...and that is one of the reasons I am not a "camper" type of girl! My idea of roughing it is staying at a Holiday Inn! ;-)
Glad you're back in your comfy bed!
Oh Wow! And I thought you had fun!? Just kidding. I know you did during the days, but oh the nights must have been awful!
I tried camping years ago and it just wouldn't work for me. Gotta have a place where I can plug in my hairdryer :-) Sleeping on the ground...no way. There's bug, and spiders and snakes. Oh my!
It all makes for a good story though.
Hugs!
Kat
In all these years of camping, the Lord has protected me from seeing any snakes, except one time when we were at the Susquehanna River.
As for hair dryers - believe me, everywhere we have camped there have been electrical outlets in the bathrooms. Actually, that is also except for one time.
In 1981 we and our four children, ages 1, 4, 7, and 14, along with our bass player and his 13-year-old daughter went to Fishnet in Virginia - a Christian festival. We camped in a field with no trees, the only toilets were porta-potties, and the only showers had long lines and low water pressure. So we did basin baths in our tent, and I guess I did my hair without a dryer or anything. I probably had a curly perm. Every day we sat in the hot sun and listened to speakers and prominent Christian singers and bands. And we had a BLAST! It's beyond my imagination how we stood the heat. But we weren't used to AC back then.
I'm loving the roughness of camping less and less, but I married into a camping tradition, and the family aspect of it is way too precious to give up.
Post a Comment