Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Beautiful Dress

The Beautiful Dress

In the mid-nineties I made frequent visits to our local used clothing shop, looking for dresses. Our school dress code required at that time that teachers wear skirts or dresses, and it seemed there must have been a very stylish woman just my size who often took her no-longer-wanted dresses to this shop. I just loved shopping there.

On one particular occasion I found a dress that was especially beautiful, fit me perfectly, and looked really good on me. I decided it would be my dress for the Spring program. The program was over a month away, so I wore it occasionally and always received compliments about it.

One such occasion was my nephew Scott Peifer's wedding. After the wedding we family members stood outside the church talking and having a great time. Of course several of them said how much they liked my dress. THEN my nephew Richard Witmer's wife Jennifer said, "I think I had a dress just like that for my high school graduation." I said, "Oh, no! Do you remember what you did with it?" She did not. I asked, "Did you by any chance take it to the Nearly Nu shop in Manheim?" She said, "You know, I think I did!" Well, we just shrieked with laughter! I would never have guessed that the dress was probably eight years old. It certainly seemed to still be in style. And, frankly, I didn't care. If it was good enough for Jennifer's graduation it was good enough for me!





7 comments:

Dianne said...

That is hilarious! Who would EVER think such a thing would happen? At least you both had good taste in clothes, huh?

That reminds me of this story: I traded my car in one time and had one delivered to me from Alabama. The guy drove my trade-in back to the lot in Alabama, then later, when I was talking to a friend that lives in Alabama and told her I'd gotten a new car, she said, "I told James I thought that was your car we saw the other day!" Neither of us could believe it. It is definitely a SMALL world sometimes.

Thanks for sharing this story...it's hilarious! (And I was impressed and surprised to find it here so early since I you mentioned that you have so much to do today! YOU GO GIRL!)

Miki Lindmark said...

I remember having to wear dresses to school at LMH, and how I hated it so much, I wore sweats under the skirts! Go figure. Aren't you glad the dress codes changed?

Tonja said...

That is a classic! What are the odds of that happening? How great that you could both laugh about it!

I have done 3 programs this week, and my biggest is the kindergarten graduation next Thursday night. 80 5&6 year olds! And each one has a speaking or singing part...Fun City!

Good luck with yours...no one understands the stress that goes with the programs unless they are in charge.

Miriam said...

What a pretty dress it must have been, an the story is funny, but oh, so good!
Miriam

Anonymous said...

Jeanie, I scrolled down to see a picture of the dress, but I didn't see one. What color was it? I don't think I knew it had been Jennifer's dress. Another new story for me to enjoy. MEW

Anonymous said...

I wanted to see a picture of the dress, too! I just wanted to say that finding "a dress that was especially beautiful, fit me perfectly, and looked really good on me" at a used clothing shop is the epitome of SWEET! Is that shop still in business????

Justabeachkat said...

What luck you had to find a dress that fits and looks good and gets you compliments! Who cares where it came from! I have a hard time shopping anywhere so we I find something I like and it fits, I'm a happy camper!