Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Disappointed, but not devastated

I was relieved to find my camera on my desk at school this morning. We had our first digital camera stolen out of our car, and I certainly hated to think that such a thing would happen to me twice.

Yesterday Dick was told that they did find lymphoma cells in the biopsy they did the other week on the lump on his head. Like I have told our children and our families via email, we are feeling disappointed, but not devastated. For the sake of my readers whom I have not known very long, I'll give a brief history of Dick's lymphoma.

A little over ten years ago Dick was diagnosed with lymphoma after enduring almost excrutiating pain in his hip for months. They discovered a tumor in his hip bone which was determined to be lymphoma. He went through eight chemo treatments over a period of 6 months and went on to have 7 years cancer-free. However, he had begun to develop lumps on his head every place he bumped it at work. Some of them became quite large. Eventually a biopsy was done, and they discovered lymphoma cells. By then there were enlarged lymph nodes in his abdominal area as well. That time he had only four chemo treatments in a few months time, and barely skipped a beat with work or playing basketball or anything else. Every CT scan since has been clear until the one this past May, when they noticed an enlarged lymph node near his heart. It was too close to his heart to do a biopsy, so they decided to keep a close watch of it. In July another CT showed that it had gotten slightly bigger, and in the mean time he had developed this lump on his head, which they decided to do a biopsy on.

He has another CT scan of the lymph node near his heart scheduled Sept. 13, followed by an appointment with his oncologist on the 20th. We're not sure if they will now want an earlier appointment than that. We shall see.

Thanks for your prayers. I read something really neat in My Utmost for His Highest this evening that I was going to share, and I also heard some awesome things this evening on Focus on the Family, but I'm too sleepy to write anything else.

Goodnight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Friend,
I am so sorry. (I had hoped that the bumps on Dick's head were just "lumpy head syndrome" that many middle aged men seem to get.) You better believe that we are praying, we care, and if there is something we can do besides that, please don't hesitate to ask.

Anonymous said...

It made me sad to read about Dick's diagnosis. We will keep you in our prayers.

Cherdecor said...

It is in difficult times like these that we can be thankful that God is in control and will walk with us through the difficulties of life. We will pray with you for healing and for peace.