Jeremy made me laugh this morning. He called before he left for work to "brag" that he and four others are going to Cocoa Beach for the weekend, and that last evening he made a LIST before he packed. just like I used to do, and he made barbeque for sloppy joes to eat upon their arrival, just like I used to do, and he made plans for most of their meals for the weekend so they wouldn't have to spend money eating out. I was properly impressed. You have to know Jeremy's normal tendency to do everything frantically at the last minute to appreciate what an accomplishment this is!!
This evening Dick and I took turns going to a viewing, since we didn't want to take Destiny to it. The viewing was for Mary Ellen Nissley, sister of John and Jay Nissley. She was only 51, but had a genetic degernerative disease called Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy. She and her husband and 8-year-old adopted daughter lived in Indiana, but her wish was to have the funeral at the church where she grew up, which was Erisman Mennonite. Her little girl is Vietnamese. She and her husband went to Vietnam to get her as an infant. She just had her 8th birthday two days after Mary Ellen died. It's so very, very sad. Dick and I have been good friends with Mary Ellen's brother Jay and his wife Elta, and her brother John and his wife Elaine for many years. We see Jay and Elta a lot, because their two adopted children are my students at school and I also give Alyssa piano lessons. But we seldom ever see John and Elaine, so it was so good to have a chance to catch up a little bit. We were such close friends for so many years. We were attendants in each others' weddings, we had our babies over the same period of time, we each adopted a child that was older than our biological children, we used to garden together at their farm when we lived in East Petersburg and didn't have room for a garden, our children played together, swam in the creek together, we lived at their house with their children for a week one time so John and Elaine could go on a vacation. I could just go on and on. In fact just recently Anthony was reminscing those days, and some of the memories were pretty wild and funny, especially eating "cow candy".
After the viewing we took advantage of a Sonic gift card that Dick had. We had never been there before - it's near Shaum's Corner on 272. You pull up to an order menu (there are a LOT of them), place your order, a girl on roller skates brings your food out to you, and you sit there in your car and eat it. I guess that would be a good place to go when you don't feel like fixing your hair or getting cleaned up to go out.
1 comment:
It is certainly true that children learn more by what we do than what we say! Your story about Jeremy proves that!
Concerning another grandmother for Destiny. I often think about how much energy it takes to raise children, and how many grandparents are doing it. Blessings to you for being available for Destiny.
Post a Comment