Yesterday Dick started a huge project outside. The side of our house toward the street has two built up flower beds. He decided to tear down the front one and replace it with a walkway that will go around the back and connect to the ramp to our deck. It will be so much easier for people who have trouble walking or are in wheelchairs than using the steps to our front porch. But it is a very labor-intensive project. First he had to shovel off the layer of stones that was on top, then he'll have to remove a lot of the soil, then build the walkway.
The lady who lived here before had these built up flowerbeds sitting full of artificial lawn decorations. We brought cast iron pig troughs along from our other place and put them there and planted flowers in them. We also got four miniature rose bushes at Walmart to plant in front right after we moved. They looked so little and pathetic, I never expected them to stay alive, less yet actually grow. But I'm feeling pretty proud of them. Believe me, anything that grows for us is purely accidental. We know next to nothing about plant care. I told my friend Cheryl that sometime I'm going to come to her house for lessons. She and her husband are growing a miniature Longwood Gardens behind their house. Her pictures are absolutely breath-taking!
We had a wonderful time with our church family in the beautiful presence of the Lord this morning, came home and had grilled chicken sandwiches on the deck, and have been taking it nice and easy all afternoon. I don't even have one thing to be working on for school, and I hardly know how to act!!
2 comments:
Wow Mom - you're like me! I never know what to do with myself when I have nothing to do with myself!!!! I'm all caught up on your blog now - love the stories and the pictures. No more feeling bad about people not reading your blog! (smile)
Lori
Well, I wasn't feeling bad about "people" not reading my blog (yesterday there were 33 hits), but I was hoping when I started blogging that at least my children would want to keep up with what's going on with Mom and Dad! So thanks for taking the time to read and to comment. I still check yours every day, so (hint, hint) there's something to do when you have nothing to do!! How's that foot doing? When are you going to Lisa's? And will you be able to be here the weekend before July 4th? Lisa and George and Sophie will be here from Saturday to Monday. We're going to give them our room and you guys can have the guest room and we'll sleep on the air mattress in my "office" since we're always the first ones to wake up and rattle around in the kitchen.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment