Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Helping Grandpa's move

This afternoon after school I went to Gretna Springs to take pictures of the empty house that my parents just settled on this morning. Then I met Frank so he could have Destiny for the evening, and I went to my parents' house in East Petersburg. The U-Haul was there already, and Mary, my step-mother, had an enormous spread of food ready for all the movers to feast upon. What a fun evening we had! Five of Mary's six sons, along with one of their wives and several of their sons were there. My brother and his wife, my brother's son, Dick and I, and my sister Doris's husband and daughter Gina were there to help load up. Actually, Julie and I were told by Mary that we were supposed to "take care of the men". We got a good laugh out of that, even though we knew she meant we were to serve them their food. The Zimmerman "boys", Mary's sons, are some of the craziest, funniest men I've ever met. They had us laughing all evening long. By around 7 p.m. we were ready to make the 12-mile trip to Gretna Springs to unload the truck. My sisters Mary Ellen and Doris were already there. What a happening place that was for a while, with a constant stream of people carrying stuff into the house, asking Grandma where to take it. Once again, there were more than a few good belly laughs. My parents will sleep in their East Petersburg house tonight, then the men who are helping them in the morning will move their beds, their frig, some things in the garage, etc. And this long anticipated move will finally be over. Ya-hoo!!

1 comment:

SC Stauffers said...

mom, can you email me and let me know how you get captions on your pictures?