Saturday, November 12, 2005

Memories, memories, memories

It is hard to do anything but think of Janet this morning. It was a Saturday morning last year, November 13th, that I was sitting at the computer doing bookwork, just like I am this morning, when the phone rang. It was my Dad. He said, "You'd better sit down." I thought, "Oh no, what happened to Mary (my step mother)?" I was no way expecting him to say, "Elvin called and said Janet didn't wake up this morning."

I have done so much weeping this year, as I am right now, just remembering what an amazing person she was, yet how she managed to make me feel so encouraged and affirmed. As I said last night, I miss her intensely sometimes. We sisters have had so many wonderful times together over the years, even though some live at a great distance. The last time all seven of us sisters were together overnight was in the summer of 2003 at Janet's lovely lakeside home. We also were together there for an entire weekend in the summer of 2004, but regretfully, Barb from Idaho was not able to be with us that time. Then in October of 2004 we all got together for the annual family weekend at Camp Andrews. Even Barb was able to come for that event. We had no idea it was our last time with Janet.

Janet was a woman of tremendous accomplishments, passion, and vision. As her family, we had no idea of the scope of her ministry and outreach. She was so incredibly humble and never talked of all she was involved in and how far-reaching her influence was. As her sisters, we just knew she was wonderful and tons of fun. It seemed every time we were together, something funny would happen to her. Like the time she came walking out of a public bathroom stall with a trail of toilet paper attached to the waist of her pants!! Her last funny story was of her trip to a huge church conference in California and her luggage did not make it on the same day she did. She had no make up and nothing to do her hair with. She was so distraught, and all Elvin could do about it was to offer her his hat!!

Well, I have much to do before we go visit her grave today. Thank you, Lord, for having given me Janet for a sister.

1 comment:

Cherdecor said...

Janet was such a blessing to me as I was taking chemotherapy. She emailed me notes of encouragement, and she prayed for me. She was a wonderful person. The Lord used her in my life, and I am sure that He used her to encourage many other people.